What Does Healthy Mean?
Consume a variety of foods
- Include all of the food groups in your food choices.
- Fruits, vegetables, protein, dairy, grains, oils.
- Choose different types of foods within each food group.
- Color your plate – choose multiple colors of fruits and vegetables at each meal.
Practice Mindful Eating
- Listen to your body – know your hunger and fullness cues.
- Eat what you want when you are hungry, stop when you are full.
- Consider balance, variety, and moderation in food choices.
Positive Relationship with Food
- A diet mentality can lead to an unhealthy relationship with food
- You should never feel “guilty” about what you eat
- Eating well should not have to be about deprivation
Positive Body Image
- Appreciate your body for what it can do – running, dancing, breathing, laughing, etc.
- Replace negative self-comments with positive ones – focus on those that are not physical
- Look at yourself as a whole person – don’t focus on specific parts of your body
|Goal||Weight loss||Confidence in the ability to make choices|
|Food||Food is enemy - deprivation, willpower||Food is a friend - taste, savory, enjoy|
|Attitude||Perfectionist||Flexible, goes with the flow|
|Choice||Eat when diet says to||Person in control|